Border Crossings

The majority of tourists enter Mongolia through three entry points. By flight to the capital Ulaanbaatar (Ulan Bator). By train or car from China (Zamin-Uud border crossing). By train or car from Russia (Sukhbaatar/Altanbulag).

See the detailed Google map of all the border crossings, with data on each crossing. Zoom in and click the icons to see details.

Following is a description of - flight, train, road and trade border crossings.


All International flights land at Chinggis Khaan airport in Ulaanbaatar, with one exception - flights from Kazakhstan land in Olgii in west Mongolia, tourists are permitted to enter Mongolia through Olgii, with this flight.

A flight from Hailar in China does have a stop over in Choibalsan in east Mongolia, before reaching Ulaanbaatar, but tourists are not permitted to get off at Choibalsan.

For more see the Flights page - all airlines and all flight options into Mongolia.

The trans Mongolian train connects Russia and China through Mongolia. A few trains a week reach Ulaanbaatar from both countries.

For more see the TransMongolian train page for detailed train options.


The Zamyn-Uud/Erlian from China and Altanbulag/Kyakhta from Russia, have full services for tourists. The others have limited services. The main issue is limited options for transportation to, from and across the border. You may use one of these, if you enter with your own car, bike, or pre-arrange for someone to meet you and take you across and beyond the border crossing. Crossing by foot is prohibited.

Remote border crossings opened recently for all passport holders
Mondy Khankh, north Mongolia / Russia, near lake Khovsgol
Khandgait Borshoo, north Mongolia / Russia, near lake Uvs
Bichigt Zuun-Khatavch, east Mongolia / China.
These are in addition to Tsagaanuur (Russia)
and Bulgan border crossing West Mongolia / China
which have opened in the past couple of years.

Opening hours
The general rule is that border ports are open weekdays 10:00-17:00
some are open 24h, and some open on weekends too.
All road border crossings are closed on national holidays.
(Train and flights operate all year round).
Dates of closed borders: New year January 1st, three days of the Chinese lunar new year (annually occurs on different days of the month).  May 01-03, October 01-03, two days of the Mongolian lunar new year (annually occurs on different days of the month). March 08, June 01, July 11-12, and November 26 annually.


Tourists can not enter through any of these crossings. They are used for trade mines export, and for locals with Chinese or Russian passports.
In addition to these there are several temporary border crossings used by local herders. For complete details see the Google map.


Jonatan Perez said...


I am planning a motorbike trip from Spain and did not really understand if it is possible to freely cross the border from Mongolia to China without any guide. Thank you

To Mongolia said...

Hi Jonatan

In general there is no need for a guide when you cross into China.

With your own car you need a guide.
About motorbikes I do not have any specific information, I assume it is the same as cars.

I suggest you post your question on the motorbike forum at

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I'd like to know if there's information about people actually crossing the border to China at Bichigt Zuun-Khatavch. I'd like to use this border point in 2 weeks, but apart from this post all Google comes up with is a group of tourist being arrested for coming near the border point (not even wanting to cross). Any way to be sure the situation has changed since then? Where does the information about this border crossing opening up come from?

Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

Hi E.
There is no information from tourists crossing this border port yet. It apparently became international only in late 2014.

If you are adventures and have the time to check it out, you will lead the way for future tourists. In case it is closed you will have to travel back to Zamyn-Uud. (long distances).

The information comes from the Mongolian news website which unfortunately is down at the time of posting this response.

Please let us know how it worked out for you.

Good luck

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,

Thanks so much for the info and quick answer. We are probably willing to give it a try, although it seems there is no border town anywhere near, which makes is quite hard for us, as we will be hitch hiking there. Any idea how many cars there would be crossing there? One of our worries is that there's simply no one to take us over the border.

If we do go I'll update here.


To Mongolia said...

It seems you are adventures.
This is one of the most remote border ports. It will open up amazing new options for touring across Asia.
There are commercial trucks going through this port every day.
It is freezing cold now, (-20c) dress well.
I would consider combining hitch-hike and public transportation. In any case as a tourist you are expected to share the petrol cost even when you hitch hike.
The border post is in Sukhbaatar (Сүхбаатар) aimag (province).
From Ulaanbaatar take a bus to the aimag capital Baruun-Urt (Баруун-Урт). From the town market take a shared jeep to Erdenetsagaan (Эрдэнэцагаан) sum (district). From there to the border, you can negotiate the cost with any local driver. The other longer option is through Choibalsan.
Take with you all the place names in Mongolian, as no one speaks English in these remote locations.

Leave sufficient visa time to go back to Zamyn-Uud, in case the border is closed.

Let us all know how it worked out. Though all blogs are blocked in China, so it will have to wait. You can email me, and I will post your experience here.

You are true explorers, following Marco Polo's footsteps.

I wish you all the best.

Ken Wee said...

Hi, I am wondering if you have any information about driving across the border from China (Erlian) to Mongolia (Zamyn-Uud) in a China-registered car?
Would I be able to get through and drive all the way to UB from Zamyn-Uud?



Anonymous said...

There is no problem driving your car all over Mongolia, no matter what original registration the car has.
The car should be registered on your name, to make sure it is not stolen.
In Mongolia you will get a 30 day temporary import document, to make sure you leave with your car. If not you will pay the full customs tax as if you imported your car to Mongolia.
At the border you will also purchase a third party liability insurance.
Have a nice drive.